Welcome to the Board Game Stats 3 beta!
Version 3 of Board Game Stats will be a free upgrade for all existing users.
Any information on this page is subject to change.
This is beta-software, and as such may and will contain bugs. Only use this on data you have a copy of or you don’t mind getting distorted or lost.
To get a feel for the software it’s best to install it on a secondary device first, and use a copy of your data. Read below how to get a copy of your data.
Current status: in 4th beta cycle, no known major issues remain.
The major new feature of BG Stats 3 is Collection management.
This works stand-alone in the app, or in sync with BoardGameGeek.
Conditions for using the beta:
– Accept the risk of data loss or corruption, it’s a beta after all!
– Report any and all bugs or crashes you encounter through TestFlight.
– Refrain yourself from posting screenshots of the new features before its release (features may be changed or removed before the final release).
First read everything that’s new here: What’s new in Board Game Stats 3.
You can get the app and upcoming updates through TestFlight.
Please report any problems, issues, unclarities and bugs you encounter as feedback through TestFlight. If you need to contact me via other means, use the beta_at_bgstatsapp.com email address.
Known limitations (will be added in future updates of the beta):
- Specific collection stats are still in the works.
- The beta is only available on iOS for now.
If you sync with Cloud sync to BG Stats 2 this will work, but of course collection info will not display there. If you import your collection from BGG, you’ll see all these games in version 2 as well, including expansions. Because version 2 has no filter to display only played games, your games list there may get a bit crowded. Sorting on most plays or recent play should help with that.
Getting a copy of your data for testing
You can install BG Stats 3 on top of BG Stats 2, which will leave all existing data in place. If you rather work with a copy of your data, you can follow one of the steps below.
1. Loading BG Stats 2 data in a fresh copy of BG Stats 3
The simplest way is to authorize BG Stats 3 to your Cloud sync account, let it load all details, and then Deauthorize and disable Cloud sync on the beta version. All data will be loaded, but nothing will be sent to the cloud until you decide to re-enable and re-authorize.
An alternative is to create an export (Settings > Export) and import that file into BG Stats 3.
Lastly, you could import your plays from BGG, if you have posted them all there. The Import plays from BGG option is avaialble in the BoardGameGeek settings in the app.
2. Loading a copy of your collection from BGG
Go to the BoardGameGeek Settings in BG Stats 3, login to BGG, and confirm you want to enable Collection sync. A scan of your BGG collection will follow.
After the scan a dialog will confirm which changes will be made to the app. If you already set some collection info in the app to test it out, it is possible the dialog also mentions that these items will be updated to BGG. You can view the list of changes that will be made before confirming.
After confirming to Enable collection Sync your collection from BGG will be imported in the app.
After confirmation of the sync and enabling of Collection sync, the app will be busy loading some more information about the games in the background. You can use the app while this happens, but it may be slower than usual. You can follow progress of this background loading in the BGG Settings in the app.
If you want to make sure nothing unexpected is changed in your BGG collection for now, you can now disable the switch ‘Sync changes automatically’ in the advanced BGG Collection sync settings. This will prevent from anything being sent to BGG or imported in that app without your approval.
3. Create a separate BGG account for testing (optional)
Now you have a copy of your collection in the app, you could set-up a separate BGG account for testing the Collection sync, if you want to. To do so, follow these steps:
- First, choose to Disable Collection Sync in the BGG Collection sync settings in the app.
- Then, create the new account on BGG (sign out your current account and choose Join on the BGG website).
- Go to the BoardGameGeek settings in the app, and choose Change Login… Login with the new account.
- You’ll get a dialog asking to confirm you want to change the BGG user. Confirm the changes. You can choose to remove the BGG link from existing plays, so you can try posting them later (now possible in bulk) to the new account.
- Now go to the Collection sync settings and press Enable Collection sync. A dialog will appear asking if you want to remove the link of the copies in the app to your previous BGG account. Press Remove link.
- The collection will be scanned, and a dialog will show that now a number of collection items will be added to your BGG account. Press View list of changes.
- A dialog appears in which you can see what exactly will be posted to your BGG account.
- If you’re OK with the changes, press Sync, and confirm withthe button Sync and Enable.
- If you have a lot of items in your collection, posting them all will take a while. A dialog lets you follow the progress. Keep the app active to keep it going.
- If for any reason you stop the app during this lengthy process, you can simply restart the app, enable collection sync again, and the sync will continue where it left off.